White Collar CrimesDefend Your Rights
Long Beach White Collar Crime Lawyer
Serving the Accused Throughout Southern California
Most of us think of criminal offenses as causing physical harm or putting others in danger of bodily harm. This is generally associated with some type of violence. However, many crimes can be nonviolent but still cause harm to others through financial means. These are crimes referred to as “white-collar crimes.” While they may be nonviolent, they still can incur serious criminal penalties whether charged as a misdemeanor or felony.
If you are being investigated for or have been arrested for any type of white-collar crime, we urge you to turn to Frisco Law Offices. Our Long Beach white collar crime attorney is a skilled trial lawyer who has conducted hundreds of trials and represented thousands of clients in the past 30 years. Our firm concentrates on results and uses our vast experience to obtain optimum outcomes in both state and federal courts.
Call (800) 928-9117 or submit your contact details online to request a free consultation about your case today.
White Collar Crimes in California
White-collar crimes are those committed to achieving some type of financial benefit or gain. They are commonly committed by individuals in a position of authority in a company, such as an accountant or financial officer, or other professionals, such as an investment counselor, politician, or government official. However, even private individuals or a small group of individuals can commit these types of crimes.
White-collar crimes are based on deceit and/or misrepresentation, such as in fraudulent loan applications or using someone else’s identity to gain credit, cash, or shop online. They can be charged as misdemeanors and felonies at both the state and federal levels. Federal white-collar crimes are those that cross state lines and involve large numbers of victims, as in investment scams or internet phishing schemes.
Examples of white-collar crimes include but are not limited to:
- Fraud. This can consist of fraud against insurance companies, healthcare agencies, workers’ compensation, financial institutions as well as welfare fraud, tax fraud, mortgage fraud, and fraud against other state and federal agencies.
- Embezzlement. This consists of stealing money through deceitful means from a business or corporation.
- Identity theft. This is another type of fraud in which someone’s identification credentials are stolen.
- Bribery. This can be used to gain favor with anyone in a public or official capacities, such as a judge, prosecutor, mayor, sheriff, legislator, juror, and others.
- Forgery. This occurs when altering or falsifying someone else’s signature on documents.
- Counterfeiting. This involves passing off a false copy of an item, such as a fake ID, counterfeit money, or selling fake designer goods.
- Money laundering. This is done by taking profits earned through illegal activity to make it appear as if they were gained legally.
- Election crimes. Tampering with elections is a crime at the state and federal levels and can include false voter registrations, violating campaign finance laws, and more.
Whether at the state or federal level, white-collar crimes can involve penalties ranging from under a year of jail time to prison sentences over a year, heavy fines, probation, and seizure of property and assets to cover restitution to victims. Federal white-collar crimes are very serious and may be investigated by such agencies as the FBI, DEA, or others.
In any white-collar crime matter, it is essential that you put a trusted and proven attorney on your side as soon as possible, even before the filing of formal charges. In some cases, your attorney may be able to get charges dropped or reduced. At Frisco Law Offices, we will take all available legal actions to help you obtain a favorable result.
Don’t speak to anyone about your criminal investigation, arrest, or charges without seeking the counsel of our Long Beach white-collar crime attorney.
Reach out online or at (800) 928-9117 for a free case review to get the help you need.